Content marketing is an essential force in today’s marketing strategies yet a 2013 survey conducted by B2B magazine revealed that a third of B2B marketers don’t know where their leads originate because they don’t track them. As an inbound marketing agency, we understand the importance of content audits and how it can change your business’s entire marketing outlook. In today’s blog, we’re beginning a three-part series giving you an in-depth look at content audits starting with exactly what a content audit is and why your business or company needs it for a successful content marketing plan.
What is a Content Audit?
You’re probably wondering, what exactly is a content audit? We’re glad you asked. A content audit is an in-depth review of your business’s existing content. The purpose of conducting a content audit is to improve your company’s SEO rank and overall online marketing capabilities by determining what existing content is valuable and what’s not.
A properly executed content audit provides valuable insight into your content’s performance and allows you to discern aspects such as:
- Mistakes in SEO (search engine optimization)
- Quality of content
- Discovery of gaps in content
- Effectiveness of current content strategy
- Opportunities for repurposing current content
- Page ranking and usefulness of keywords
Why should I perform a content audit?
If you’ve been posting blogs, videos or content to your website for a while a content audit helps identify the best use of your time. For instance, your content might drive plenty of traffic to your website, but your qualified leads are low. A content audit will provide insight into which marketing channels are working and which are not. Other reasons for a content audit include:
- An unclear value proposition. Your content writers need a clear understanding of your company’s value and what makes your product or service attractive to customers.
- Unmet leads or sales goals. Often this can be remedied by aligning your sales and marketing teams to meet these goals and using your content to help reach sales goals.
- Desire to improve your content’s ROI, but are unsure where to begin.
- Content that is unread by your subscribers. This may be because your content is not based on the right buyer persona, or doesn’t provide value to your content’s target audience.
Understanding the purpose and how to execute a successful content audit is one of the many ways Momentum Consulting works to ensure your online marketing strategy is providing the results you need to grow and meet your business goals. If you’re ready to take your company’s content to the next level, click here:.